SALMON HERBED QUINOA
~ serves 5 (roughly 1 ¼ cup per serving); Paleo, gluten & dairy-free
- 1 cup dried quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium (or you can use chicken bouillon to flavor 2 cups of water)
- 3 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 TBSP dijon mustard
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped and sliced thinly
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 (4 oz) cans skinless, boneless salmon, drained and flaked (alternatively, you can use 8 oz of smoked salmon)
In a medium sauce pan, bring the chicken broth to a boil and then add the quinoa. Reduce the heat to medium so that the broth simmers, cover the pan, and cook until all of the liquid is absorbed (about 10-12 minutes). Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl.
While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the dressing. Add the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, dijon mustard, basil, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper to a small bowl and whisk together. Next, chop the red onion and tomatoes.
Add chopped vegetables, flaked salmon and dressing to the large bowl with the quinoa and toss everything together.
Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator prior to eating (I prefer to eat this salad cold). This quinoa salad will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.