ZUPPA TOSCANA, POTATO SOUP WITH KALE
Recipe inspired by Kristi Barnes: https://www.farmsteadchic.com/whole30-zuppa-toscana/
~ serves 7; makes roughly 13 cups; Paleo, Whole30, dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free
- 2 TBSPs organic beef tallow, ghee, or coconut oil
- 4 links of Italian Style chicken sausage (sliced thinly; Whole30 compliant if desired)
- 1 large chopped onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP Italian seasoning
- ½ - 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, start with ½ teaspoon and add more to taste if you're brave!
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 7 medium red potatoes, coarsely chopped (and unpeeled)
- 5 oz. frozen organic chopped kale (or roughly 3 cups fresh chopped kale)
- 13.5 oz. can full fat coconut milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a large stock pot or Dutch Oven, melt the beef tallow, ghee or coconut oil, Add the Italian sausage and cook on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes until browned. Add the onion, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper. Saute 3 minutes. Add the garlic. Stir for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and potatoes.
Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add the kale and coconut milk and simmer an additional 5 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork and kale is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.