Ginger Beef & Vegetable Stir-fry
~ serves 5; Paleo, gluten & dairy-free
- 1 TBSP avocado oil
- 2 small crowns of broccoli, sliced into small bites
- ½ bag of baby carrots, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled & minced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 4 stalks of celery, finely sliced
- 1 small package of pre-sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced and chopped
- 3 leaves of kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 lb flank steak, thinly sliced
- ½ TBSP avocado oil or coconut oil
- ⅓ cup coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- ¼ cup coconut vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- ½ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 TBSPs arrowroot powder (or organic cornstarch)
First start by prepping your vegetables. Wash, slice or chop them according to the ingredient list. Then prepare the stir-fry sauce by mixing all ingredients (except the arrowroot) together in a microwave safe bowl and heat in the microwave for 1 minute. Next, whisk in the arrowroot powder until the sauce is uniform. Set aside.
Next, heat a stir-fry pan or extra-large skillet to medium-high heat. Add the avocado oil, then garlic and fresh ginger. Be careful to not let the oil get too warm before adding the garlic and ginger so that they don’t burn. After two minutes add in the sliced onion, broccoli, and carrots and stir. Once the onions are translucent add ⅓ of the stir-fry sauce to the pan in order to speed up the cooking process. (If you wish, you may cook the broccoli and carrots slightly in the microwave if you are in a time crunch.) Continue to stir the vegetables every minute or so for 10 minutes. Next, add in the celery, mushrooms, and peppers. Cook and stir for an additional 5 minutes.
During this time prepare a second skillet to cook the steak in. Heat the pan to high heat and then add the ½ TBSP avocado oil/coconut oil to the pan. Sear the steak flank for 1 minute on each side or until the steak is slightly under-done according to how you would normally prefer your steak (it will cook more in the stir-fry and we don’t want it to get too dry). Remove the steak from the hot pan and place on a cutting board to slice into small strips. Be sure to check your stir-fry and stir occasionally. Add the remaining stir-fry sauce, kale, and cut steak strips into the stir-fry pan and stir to combine and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Let the kale cook until it wilts and then remove the pan from heat.
Serve over jasmine, basmati, or cauliflower rice (for Paleo version).