GOLDEN TURMERIC COCONUT CHICKEN over SWEET POTATO NOODLES
~ serves 4; gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free, Whole30, Paleo
- 7-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or legs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 ½ TBSP avocado or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise and then make small slices
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 ½ cup babybel mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 large sweet potatoes, spiralized (or buy store-bought spiralized sweet potatoes or butternut squash )
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1, 15 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 TBSPs tahini
- ¼ cup packed fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped (optional)
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the coconut oil, then add the sliced onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Next, add the grated ginger, minced garlic, and diced bell pepper and saute for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sliced zucchini next and saute until soft. Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the chicken thighs/legs. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Next, add the canned coconut milk, tahini, turmeric, cumin, sea salt, and pepper, stir to combine. Turn the heat down to low and add the chopped kale, stirring until it all wilts into the sauce.
While the sauce simmers, make the noodles. After spiralizing your sweet potatoes or squash, heat a large skillet over medium heat and drizzle 1 ½ TBSPs avocado or olive oil in the skillet. Saute the noodles for 4-5 minutes or until they just turn tender (you don’t want them to get too mushy).
To serve, plate 1-2 cups of the “noodles” and top with ¼ of the golden turmeric coconut chicken. Top with fresh chopped basil leaves if you wish!