Creamy Pesto & Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken
~serves 3-4, paleo & gluten free options
- 2 medium chicken breasts (4.0-5.5 oz each)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 can mushrooms, or 1 cup of chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3 TBSP basil pesto
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (canned), divided in two
- 3 teaspoons arrowroot flour or cornstarch
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, with ½ TBSP of the oil from the jar
- 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 handfuls spinach
- ½ TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
*optional: shredded parmesan cheese for serving (omit for the Paleo version)
Cut the chicken breasts into small strips and chop the onion. Next, heat a large skillet over medium heat for 4 minutes. Add the ½ TBSP olive oil to the pan and sauté the chicken strips and onions over medium heat until the chicken is no longer pink.
Next, add the mushrooms, pesto, sun-dried tomatoes (and extra oil), and cherry tomatoes. Sauté for 5 minutes over medium-low heat. Meanwhile, take ½ of the coconut milk (½ cup) and pour it into a small glass dish, add the arrowroot flour to it and heat in the microwave for 45 seconds. This will act as your thickening agent for the sauce. Add the other ½ cup of coconut milk to the pan and stir well. Then add the coconut milk and arrowroot flour mixture to the pan and turn the heat to low. Continue to let the sauce simmer and thicken for 5 minutes. Add the spinach in and stir until it wilts.
Top with parmesan cheese if desired and serve over whole wheat pasta (linguine or spaghetti noodles) or zucchini noodles (for a paleo version). Enjoy!