INSTANT POT BEEF STROGANOFF
~ serves 4; Paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free & nut free
- 1 TBSP ghee or avocado oil
- 20-24 oz beef of choice, thinly sliced (any steak, small roast, or stew meat will work)
- 8-12 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- large pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 TBSPs dijon mustard
- ½ cup beef or chicken broth
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 TBSPs coconut aminos
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins all natural has the cleanest ingredients)
- All of the cream from the top portion of 1, 15 oz full-fat coconut milk can (place in the fridge prior if the cream isn’t already separated)
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ TBSP lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1 TBSP + 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder/flour
*Optional: noodles of choice (spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles for paleo; chickpea or brown rice pasta for gluten-free).
Set the Instant Pot to “sauté” mode, add the ghee or avocado oil. After the oil is warm, add the sliced onions and beef. Add a large pinch of salt and sauté for 3-5 minutes until all sides of the beef are browned. While the meat is browning, measure out the seasonings, mustard, broth, vinegar, coconut aminos, and Worcestershire sauce into a bowl or measuring glass. Stir everything together. Add this to the Instant Pot along with the mushrooms. Stir everything together. Push the “cancel” button, place the lid on the pot and then push the “pressure cook” or “manual” button (depending on the model of your Instant Pot) and set the cook time to 22 minutes.
While the pot comes to pressure and cooks, prepare the cream mixture. Whisk the first 4 ingredients together then take out ⅓ cup worth, warm it in the microwave for 15-20 seconds (to prevent lumping) and whisk in 1 TBSP + 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder to thicken the cream.
In addition, during this time, prepare your noodles of choice.
When the Instant Pot timer goes off, manually release the pressure by hitting the “cancel” button and turning the valve using an oven mitt or towel so you don’t burn yourself. I like to keep a towel over the valve so it doesn’t get all over my cupboards. After all of the pressure has released, take the lid off and stir in the thickened cream.
Serve the stroganoff over the prepared noodles and enjoy!