SLOW COOKER POT ROAST with GRAVY
~ serves 6, Paleo, dairy & gluten-free
- 1 chuck roast (roughly 3 lbs); cut in half
- 1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks (or use whole baby carrots)
- 2 pounds russet or red potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 4 celery stalks, cut into large chunks (optional)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 ½ TBSP arrowroot flour
- ½ TBSP garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 TBSP paprika
- 1 TBSP dried parsley
- ½ TBSP sea salt
- 1 TBSP dried thyme
- ½ TBSP dried rosemary
Combine seasonings together in a small bowl. Set aside. Coat all sides of both pieces of meat with the olive oil. Sprinkle on a third of the seasoning mixture onto each side. Sear all sides of the meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer roast to slow cooker.
Place the vegetables in a large bowl. Drizzle on a little olive oil to coat vegetables. Sprinkle on the remaining seasoning mix. Add the vegetables to the same skillet that was used to sear the meat. Sauté for about five minutes - stirring occasionally.
Transfer the vegetables to the top of the roast in the slow cooker. Pour in the beef broth. Cover with lid.
Cook on low for 7-8 hours for the most tender meat or on high for 4-5 hours.
Using a turkey baster, retrieve most of the cooking juices from the slow cooker. Transfer juices to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat on the stovetop. Whisk together the arrowroot flour with a little water. Blend into the pan juices while whisking. Bring back to a simmer until thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Transfer the roast and vegetables to a large platter. Ladle the gravy over. Serve immediately.